Sorry for the slow reply, I haven't had much time to spend on this but
I wanted to get as far as I could on my own.

I've followed every mythTV/appleTV/XvMC guide that I could find but it
appears that I am not getting XvMC to work. My log says

2010-05-18 23:46:30.042 VDPAU Error: Error at mythrender_vdpau.cpp:
1448 (#1, Unknown)
2010-05-18 23:46:30.042 VDPAU Error: Failed to create VDPAU device.
2010-05-18 23:46:30.042 VDPAU Error: No VDPAU device
2010-05-18 23:46:30.042 Failed to create VDPAU render device.
2010-05-18 23:46:30.043 VidOutVDPAU Error: Failed to initialise VDPAU
2010-05-18 23:46:30.089 VideoOutputXv: Desired video renderer 'xvmc-
blit' not available.
                        codec 'MPEG2' makes 'xv-blit,xshm,xlib,' available,
using 'xv-blit'
instead.

I had another error complaining about not finding the XvMCConfig file
since it was in /etc/X11 instead of /etc but I fixed that. Everything
else seems to be configured correctly, but it just won't work. Why is
it trying to use VDPAU? Is there anyway to disable this? Could this be
what is thwarting XvMC?

Thanks in advance!