On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 8:33 PM, Ian Thomas <il.tho...@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Sunday OT - way off track for .NET, but there is a 28-minute talk by Bill
> Gates given recently at TED 2010 called "Gates on energy: Innovating to
> zero!" I thought that some may be interested in Bill Gates' perspective.

> future, describing the need for "miracles" to avoid planetary catastrophe
> and explaining why he's backing a dramatically different type of nuclear
> reactor. The necessary goal? Zero carbon emissions globally by 2050.

I find it fairly annoying that this would be called a "miracle"; it
makes the word itself kind of useless, but anyway, that's probably
just the hype of having to do a public talk on it.

I do think it's good if a significant amount of money is spent in this
area; and he certainly has that capacity (as well as encouraging
others) so that's nice to see.

What would really be nice if he not only funded his own ideas, but
others, to hedge the bets, so to speak. But maybe he's already doine
that (I certainly don't plan to watch the video to find out).

--
silky

  http://island.mirios.com.au/t/silkyblog
  http://www.mirios.com.au/