On 10-Jan-07, at 12:07 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

On 10 Jan 2007 at 9:30, Also Sprach Matt Sergeant:

I've used this in the past to check if I'm using epoll (though that's
not the same as whether aio is supported):

my $POLL = "with " . ($Danga::Socket::HaveEpoll ? "epoll()" :
                     $Danga::Socket::HaveKQueue ? "kqueue()" : "poll
()");

I get poll(). I also get poll() on my 2.6.14 slackware laptop.
I do I get epoll or kqueue?
I have tested Danga::Socket (make test). On the RH it skips the
event tests. On the slack box it passes all tests.
I've just installed IO::AIO and Danga::Socket on the slack 2.6.14
kernel and both installed ok but I still get "with poll()" using the code
above.

I think you have to have started the event loop for this to work (i.e. try it from one of your plugins).

More importantly, does it mean that ax2 will run like a pig on the RH
with poll() only?

Even if you can only use poll() (which will never be the case on a 2.6 kernel, and I believe RH Enterprise has the epoll patches backported into it) it's still fast, it just can't cope with as many concurrent connections (like 1000 instead of 10,000).

Matt.