Hello.

I've been happily using AxKit for about five months now. It was
installed and set up by someone who has left the company long ago, so
I haven't set it up myself, but that usually doesn't give problems.
Right now we are rebuilding our web server to a newer OS and I thought
it would make sense to upgrade the software as well. So I upgraded
from Apache1 to Apache2, from mod_perl1 tot mod_perl2 and... well, I
think this meant I had not choice but to move to AxKit2 as well.

So I downloaded it, installed some missing perl modules, ran the demo,
which all worked well. And then I wanted to integrate it into the new
web server.

And this is when I started to panic a bit.

'AxKit2 does away with Apache', the wiki says. I have to admit that
this very statement puzzled me at first, as I had always though of
AxKit as just a mod_perl/Apache module but, if I understand correctly,
it is actually working alongside Apache, only taking care of (in our
case) the XML-to-XML-via-XSLT process?

Okay, that makes sense. But still, I'd like Apache and mod_perl to do
all the other things -serving images, pdfs, taking care of
authentication etc.- they have been doing so nicely for me all this
time. But I am kind of confused about where to start. Or, since I
would like to keep using various existing AxKit plugins and taglibs,
is the whole idea to move to AxKit2 right now just not very clever?

I apologise if this is a very low-level question. I will happily share
anything I learn by editing the wiki and, who knows, share new/changed
modules with the community.

Martijn.