Martijn wrote:
Okay, that makes sense. But still, I'd like Apache and mod_perl to do
all the other things -serving images, pdfs, taking care of
authentication etc.- they have been doing so nicely for me all this
time. But I am kind of confused about where to start. Or, since I
would like to keep using various existing AxKit plugins and taglibs,
is the whole idea to move to AxKit2 right now just not very clever?

So part of the reason I took this approach was that everyone runs 2 web servers anyway - in the mod_perl setup they run a lightweight proxy front end and a heavy mod_perl backend. So I decided we didn't really need two Apache's when one will do. There were other reasons too, they're in the list archives.

So my basic advice is to run Apache2 in proxypass mode talking to your AxKit2 server on the backend. Then you can serve static files directly from Apache2 if you want.

You don't have to run it this way - AxKit2 alone is a very effective file delivery web server. But you might want some of the bells and whistles that Apache provides.

Matt.