As I understand it, you have a couple of choices.

1) You can run both apache1 and apache2 on the same server. But one of them will have to run on a different port.

2) Switch to axkit2, but use apache2 to handle certain things using ProxyPass and reverse proxying. I've heard of people even setting it up to handle static content like images and pdfs from apache and dynamic content through the proxy, but I've never done it. I think people using rails do that to speed stuff up.

--simon

--
http://simonwoodside.com