Hi Craig and Guillermo,

On 2020-08-23 19:35, Craig Barratt via BackupPC-users wrote:

$Conf{PoolNightlyDigestCheckPercent} is in percent, so you should set it to 100 to check all the pool file's MD5 digest against their file names.

As Guillermo mentions, to check the pool MD5 digests, you can set temporarily set $Conf{PoolNightlyDigestCheckPercent} to 100 and $Conf{PoolSizeNightlyUpdatePeriod} to 1.

When reading the documentation, I also came across these options. However, I didn't dare to run backuppc / BackupPC_nightly, because from the documentation:

   Overnight, when BackupPC_nightly next runs,
   all the unused pool files will be deleted and
   this will recover the disk space used by the client's backups.

I didn't want to end up with an empty pool...

If you stop BackupPC, to check all the pool digests, run:

BackupPC_refCountUpdate -m
If you want to also regenerate all the host reference counts (which will take a long time), you could run:

BackupPC_refCountUpdate -m -F

Meanwhile, with the kind help of the btrfs community, I figured out a way to get the damaged files. This process is not finished, yet, however, I have a first list:

/mnt/backuppc/pc/abc.def.ghi/1989/refCnt/poolCnt.1.16
/mnt/backuppc/cpool/5c/c8/5cc9373a32e06baaa308a7b341db5ac9
/mnt/backuppc/cpool/b2/62/b3629c46481cb038682aea248c45b89f
/mnt/backuppc/cpool/20/c6/21c61013d40e644af734e28459df0a1a
/mnt/backuppc/cpool/8a/f8/8af935bc53f7199ed75a5695bfd57f26

FYI: The most recent backup from host abc.def.ghi is 2291, so 1989 is quite far in the past.

How should I proceed when I have a list of broken files?
Move them out from cpool and hope they will be re-synced by the next (full?) backup?

Thanks,
Raoul

Craig