On Mon Jun 19 2017 Angel de Vicente wrote:
> Ideally I would like:
>
> 1. when reading a message, see if the sender is in my database (I can do
>    that by pressing ":")

It seems you figured this out.

> 2. Once the BBDB buffer is shown, I would like that when I move to
>    another message, the BBDB buffer is updated automatically: now I have
>    to press ":" again to see the new sender, and if the sender is not in
>    BBDB, it just shows the previous sender, where ideally an empty
>    buffer would be better

A continuously updated BBDB buffer is maintained via bbdb-mua-auto-update.

See the section "Noninteractive functions" in README.

> 3. Pressing ":" again gets rid of the BBDB buffer

Either you let BBDB handle these things interactively via commands
like bbdb-mua-display-records bound to ":" (see above, your item 1.),
or you do them non-interactively (your item 2.)

Anything else "do what I mean" you might have to hack on your own.

> 4. If the sender is not in the database press some key and offer the
>    option to include it in the database.

Interactive commands: bind bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p to your liking
(see README).

Noninteractively: see again the section "Noninteractive functions"
in README.