On Tue Jun 20 2017 Angel de Vicente wrote:
> In my .emacs file I have:
> ,----
> | (require 'bbdb)
> | (bbdb-initialize 'gnus 'message)
> | (bbdb-mua-auto-update-init)
> `----

The function bbdb-mua-auto-update-init is called like
bbdb-initialize: you need to specify the MUAs it should hook into.
(Maybe you want that it watches only incomming or only outgoing
messages...)

> I would be happy to do this interactively, but I don't see any command
> to close the BBDB buffer? (Do I just have to define my own?)

What do you mean by "closing the BBDB buffer"?  As in similar modes,
BBDB binds "q" to quit-window.

> OK, changing it to (query . query) now BBDB offers me to add a record to
> the database.
> ,----
> | bbdb-mua-update-interactive-p is a variable defined in ‘bbdb.el’.
> | Its value is (query . query)
> | Original value was (search . query)
> `----

The idea is that the action specified by the cdr can be more
"aggressive" than the action specified by the car.  So if you call
the command with C-u (because you know what you want), you get the
more "aggressive" action.  (Of course, if "query" is all you always
want, you need not worry about the cdr.  Or you make the cdr a less
aggressive action.  The choices are yours.)