Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 10:14:35 -0500
From: Neil Maller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com" <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: Re: <E36> Rear shock replacement degree of difficulty?

on 8/23/05 8:20 AM, "Steve.Goldstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> It's become quite clear that the rear shocks are tired.
> I've done this job a couple of times on E30s, how does
> the E36 compare?

The most annoying part of the job is removing the trunk's side trim panels
for access to the RSM (rear shock mount) nuts. After that it's falling down
simple: two nuts for the RSMs, one large bolt on the bottom of the shock,
then once it's off the car the shock shaft nut so that you can transfer over
the bump stop.

You'll also want to replace the RSMs. One good solution for a street car is
the E46 M3 RSM which is durable and inexpensive.

Neil
Fort Wayne, IN
96 M3      - Bastard child
03 525iT   - Sterling Grey Metallic
77 MGB     - Original owner, need to sell
05 Mini    - Cooper S with LSD!