Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 00:30:42 -0400
From: Ed MacVaugh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL PROTECTED],
   [EMAIL PROTECTED], bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com,
   KMS- Brett Anderson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Coding Plugs E30 E28 and maybe others

Law work is slow, mind continues to work:

My cars have coding plugs for both the speedometer cluster and the
onboard computers.  I know that these plugs indicate how many cylinders
the car has, tire size (for the speedo plug) and injector size (for the
OBC plug) and maybe more parameters, too.

What is inside the plug? Why are they heat sealed shut?

I anticipated that they would have either a jumper board or a resistor
network inside to signal these parameters.

I have a VDO brand instrument cluster sitting around for an E30 325i and
pulled the coding plug. It is marked "17" on a tab (in mirror image),

BMW17
1385468
12.88    003 on its end

621 12.88 on its side

I cut the heat sealed peg and withdrew the printed circuit board from
inside.

It consists of a single DIP (dual in-line package) electronic device
with eight pins, four on each side.

The printed circuit card is very simple with each of these eight pins
having a single trace to the eight pins that mate with the instrument
cluster.

The electronic package (DIP) has three lines of letters on it:

HML
087
8823

I have attached photographs for those whose computers will allow them to
be viewed.

I know from my previous electrical engineering life that many of these
numbers are date codes, indicating the date of manufacture. DIP was made
23rd week of 1988, assembly the 12th month of 1988.

I know from a message I once viewed from Jim C. of chip fame, that the
coding plug from the OBC simply selected coded maps from within the OBC
and contained no values of its own. This was important to me and the
twin cam conversion crowd, because it would allow the OBC to accurately
read fuel consumption.  Jim C. was not interested in programming the
internal maps for an OBC to include one suited for 3.2 liter Euro motors
because the work was considerable and the potential market very small.

Does anyone have wiring diagrams for the Motometer and VDO instrument
clusters? The OBC?

Anyone have a chart of what the various numbers of coding plugs
correspond to as far as tire size, injectors, or whatever?

If I find anything out, is anyone else interested?

Thanks,

Ed