Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 13:12:47 -0500
From: "Marc Plante" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
Subject: Airbag sensor pad install

I opened up my stock seat and pulled out the passenger sensor for the airbag
system to move to my SRD.  There are three torx screws on the bottom side of
the seat. Two on the front corners and one on the back right at the back of the
switches (my seat is manual)  removing these lets you pry up the padding and
see the sensor, which is s sheet of HDPE with some wiring embedded in it.  If
you slide your fingers between the pad and the shell below and work them
towards the back of the seat to break loose a bit of gooey adhesive that is
used to hold the pad in place. Then simply liberate the wiring sensor (maybe a
couple zip ties to cut) and you can pull it out.

To install in a Recaro SRD, push down the front edge and pull the plastic hook
off the front of the seat, which liberates the bottom cushion. Slide in the
sensor pad and work the front corners under the padding of the side bolsters to
get it to lie flat.  Then reconnect the wiring harness to the connector coming
out of the floor.

Last thing you need to do is reset the airbag light, which brings me back to my
original question:  Does anyone in the DC area have an SRS reset tool I can
borrow without making the pilgrimage to Bill Shook’s in Alexandria.

Thanks,

Marc Plante
1997 E36 M3/4 67k
2005 Child (12 days and counting)