Hi Simon,

Am 30.10.22 um 18:51 schrieb Simon Phipps:
In particular the wording of section 2 could lead a reader to the wrong conclusions.
Everyone can read there [1]:
"A personal interest is not identical to, but tends to qualify as a Conflict of Interest when it *can* result in improper conduct."

My understanding of the word *can* is here: The possibility alone is sufficient.

It's clarified helpfully by Section 5.3 which explains that a personal interest is not an actual/potential conflict of interest until the Board has determined that it is based on the evidence.
Everyone can read there[1]:
"The remaining Board of Directors shall determine if a Conflict of Interest actually exists, before the Board of Directors takes action."

My conclusion: these two sentences lead straight away to an existing Conflict of Interest, right?

Since a Board cannot function in a continual atmosphere of accusation
and mistrust
Indeed and very true. I am all with you.

most Boards on which I have served have assumed by default
that directors can be trusted to highlight any case where a declared interest of theirs conflicts with the interests of the organisation in a harmful way.
Great if that works out.

I strongly suggest TDF's Board follow that practice
I think thus following the actual Conflict of Interest Policy (BoD)[1] is a good starting point. And to consider what is written there, rather than interpretation.

Best
Stephan

[1] https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/images/6/6e/BoD_Conflict_of_Interest_Policy_ver1_3_2.pdf

--
Stephan Ficht, Member of the Board of Trustees
Tel: +49 30 5557992-64 | Mail: stephan.fi...@documentfoundation.org