I've posted an updated APK file that is signed, apparently signing is
required if you download the APK file from a website.

The new APK file works with both my cell phone and tablet.

----- Rom

From: Joachim Fritzsch [mailto:joachim.fritz...@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 4:33 AM
To: Rom Walton
Cc: Kevin Reed; Jonathan D Armstrong; Keith J Uplinger; David Anderson
(BOINC); Charlie Fenton; boinc_dev@ssl.berkeley.edu;
eah_andr...@aei.mpg.de
Subject: Re: Android Test Build

On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 6:29 AM, Rom Walton <r...@romwnet.org> wrote:

        Howdy Folks,

        Sorry this took a little longer than anticipated, I switched by
build environment over to Linux.  For some reason I was ending up with
corrupted apk files under Windows.

        I'll be uploading my build VM to boinc.berkeley.edu if anybody
needs a copy.

        I have a test APK file uploaded to:

        http://www.romwnet.org/files/android/BOINC.apk

We need to find a place, where I can host the binaries until we submit
it to an appstore. The ProjectApp needs a reliable location to download
the BOINC application from.

        I have it running under an emulator okay, it successfully
attaches to the http://boinc.berkeley.edu/test project and begins
processing work.

        However, I haven't been able to install it successfully on my
tablet or cell phone yet.  I didn't sign this package.

If you just want to test things, no need to sign it. You have two

a) connect the device to your developer machine via USB and debug it on
the device, i.e. see the Logcat output. (enable it on your device at:
"settings - developer options - usb debugging" on Android 4.0)

b) allow unsigned applications on your device ("settings - security -
unknown sources" on Android 4.0)

        Joachim has started working out of the BOINC repo and it should
be easier to track UI development progress.

It is work in progress, but please check it out!

I am currently adapting it to meet the user story I described in my
email last week. It might be unstable and features and UI are not 100%
yet, but it gives an idea where we are heading....

        Joachim, I tweaked the executable name the UI expects to launch
to just 'boinc' to track with our other release packages.  I also
tweaked the build script so that it would strip the symbols from the
executable(s) to bring down the overall package size.  I have also
included the ca-bundle.crt as an asset.  World Community Grid uses an
SSL cert that is kind of off the beaten path as far as CAs go, the
ca-bundle.crt we include in our packages includes the CA that they use.
It just needs to be put into the same directory as the boinc executable
and boinc should just start to use it.

        I'll figure out what is up with my cell phone and tablet
tomorrow.

        ----- Rom