On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Daniel Carrion <dcarrio...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Managed to get this working with POGS using anonymous platform, as the
> project currently doesn't support ARM natively. Few things I had to do:
>
> - Gain root access using modded boot - this is just something I do when
> working in restricted locations. I revert back later.
> - Add /data/data/edu.berkeley.boinc/client/remote_hosts.cfg so I can send
> project attach commands using remote UI.
> - Dump POGS project files into
>
> /data/data/edu.berkeley.boinc/client/projects/ec2-23-23-126-96.compute-1.amazonaws.com_pogs
> - Send attach command remotely for project (no built in option at present).
> - Modified computing preferences to always allow network activity and run
> whilst on batteries etc... Some reason this didn't set for newly attach
> project.
>
> Some things that I noticed:
>
> - When the screen dims it sets all tasks to "waiting" except one that runs
> in high priority.

Interesting. We might need to use a CPU mode lock as provided by
android.os.PowerManager class. I will investigate this...

> - When force closing the app, the BOINC client hangs around in the
> background. This I noticed from running a ps inside my SSH shell to my
> phone.

That is true. Force closing kills the VM process. BOINC client is not
inside the VM. If Android closes an app, it calls its onDestroy() method
and one could close the Client in code, this does not happen if you force
kill it. Anyway, re-opening the BOINC application, it connects to the
previously started Client. So the process does not get abandoned or
uncontrollable.

> Overall seems very promising. Great work! I'm guessing we'll be seeing
> project command features and further computing/network tweaking
> capabilities in the future? Is there any chance of modifying the default
> manifest to include android:debuggable="true" so we can use adb shell
> run-as edu.berkeley.boinc? I don't use this feature, but there might be
> some out there that don't want to compile their own apk and want to debug
> this way using your version.

I will include the debugable flag in the next commit.