hxxp seems to be advantageous for a few reasons:
 1. you can still cut and paste the url
2. the protocol handlers won't load it up if you accidently click on it
 3. you can add a protocol handler for hxxp for whatever you want
 4. easier to recognize domains and patterns (rather than rotted urls)
 5. already widely accepted in spam fighting groups
 6. trivial to do and undo with no exception cases

I figured I'd put down my thoughts to try to help a standard to move forward.