If I may air my opinion:
First I'd like to point out that I consider myself rather pro-american, so
whatever comes next is just pure speculation and/or objective
considerations.

1. America is the most powerful nation in the world, all-round. As such the
US can do mostly what it pleases. Most of the time US-moves benefits the
rest of the world, but what if some day it decides to make moves which only
benefits the US? Other countries can comment but never control US-actions
and because of the vast American influence all countries feel some sort of
effect whenever American politicians make decisions.

2. Some times the USA demands special treatment. One example of this is the
current situation where the US threatens (perhaps this word is a bit
strong - "attempts to influence diplomatically" might be a better phrase)
Belgium to change national legislation so that American war-criminals may
not be apprehended in Belgium, since the US immunity for it's citizens in
matters of warcrimes. This, even as a US-supporter, I feel is hypocrisy
since the US itself is bent on dealing with the world's dictators and
terrorists. I'd like to point out that I support the current policy of
dealing with these very dangerous people, but US-forces aren't always
perfect in their actions (My Lai - Vietnam, round-up of US-citizens of
Japanese backgound  in WW2, manipulation of intelligence reports in
connection with the recent war against Iraq).

3. Coming to the World's rescue? By thrice I assume you mean WW1&2 and the
cold war?
If so perhaps I should point out that the US's global strategies didn't
always turn out as one might hope. One example might be the decision to
covertly support dictators and military juntas in some countries in the hope
of halting communism (Chile, Afghanistan, ect.). It has even come to a point
where the CIA assisted South American drug-cartels in smuggling narcotics to
the US-market in order to help them finance their private armies. No wonder
some countries might feel suspicious of the US government's motives from
time to time.

4. Finally America has aquired some muslim countries as enemies (not least
by supporting the Israeli - which again I support). This means that
something like a billion humans around the globe will automatically take an
anti-american stand point (as directed by their religious leaders).
Unfortunately in islam there is no real separation between policy and
religion.

Now, why some or all of this may come back and effect the USA as a nation, I
too cannot understand why that makes American civilians targets for
terrorists (Well, ok, I *do* understand but I find it highly grotesque).

BTW: In Denmark we still make the French. So I won't mind if you do. Knock
yourselves out.