--- Richard Baker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Jeroen said:
>
> > Third, individual behaviour. It's not just the current US government
> > that generates a lot of resentment in others, some very vocal
> > individual Americans do it as well. FREX, when you discuss WW2 with a
> > number of Americans, there will always be some among them who will
> > make it sound as if the US singlehandedly liberated Europe rather than
> > as member of a coalition, which comes across as awfully arrogant. Some
> > will even expect Europe to be so grateful for it that we will forever
> > support the US in whatever it does.
>
> That does make sense. After all, the US has *always* supported France in
> absolutely everything in gratitude for the French being instrumental in
> American independence, hasn't it?

The unspoken rule is If a people come to your aid in a war, then you are
forever greatfull as a people, unil they go against you in a war.

"The Germans made us do it, the Germans made us do it" Just doesn't hold up
so well. You know? Not to mention other wars where the French were not on our
side.

Hay, I'm not saying the US can do no wrong or anyting, but you know, we
~were~ infinatly greatful until....

=====