At Stardate 20030625.2102, Jan Coffey wrote:

I trust an average person taken from the street far more than I would trust someone who does it for a living.

So, when you feel ill, you ask a not-medically-trained average person from the street for a diagnosis, rather than go see a physician (a trained professional who does this for a living)?

When someone allegedly broke a law, do you really believe that uneducated Joe Average is more qualified to determine whether a law really was broken than someone who has actually *studied* the laws?

That is too much power, and IMO Judges already have too much power.

The only real power they have is to declare someone guilty and determine appropriate punishment -- but then, that's what they are trained for and get paid for! And if they screw up, their decision can be overturned by a higher court.

Jeroen van Baardwijk