--- Jeroen van Baardwijk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At Stardate 20030625.2102, Jan Coffey wrote:
>
> >I trust an average person taken from the street far more than I would
> >trust someone who does it for a living.
>
> So, when you feel ill, you ask a not-medically-trained average person from
> the street for a diagnosis, rather than go see a physician (a trained
> professional who does this for a living)?

That is a big differnce! I trust 12 of my peers to say whether or not I am
guilty than 1 man or woman who has all of that power.

How is this not obvious to you?

> When someone allegedly broke a law, do you really believe that uneducated
> Joe Average is more qualified to determine whether a law really was broken
> than someone who has actually *studied* the laws?

Yes absolutly! and not just one someone, 12 someones who have to agree!

> >That is too much power, and IMO Judges already have too much power.
>
> The only real power they have is to declare someone guilty and determine
> appropriate punishment -- but then, that's what they are trained for and
> get paid for! And if they screw up, their decision can be overturned by a
> higher court.

When religion and polotics come into play, that can become very shady
buisness.

I prefer 12 other reasonable people just like me, than one guy who might
think that I need to be locked up becouse of my religions of political
beliefs. (Remember that's what happened to a lot of our ancestors)

=====