> You keep going there, but you refuse to discuss the differences in the
> "truism" you are using. Your truism is that a person should try and come
> across in a way that is comfortable to the person they are talking to. The
> American way is to accept others the way they are, and be tolerant of
their
> differences, even if they -seem to be- "comeing across" in an aggresive or
> insulting way.

So the American way is to accept others the way they are, be tolerant of
their differences, but not necessarily make an effort to try and come across
in a way that is comfortable to the person that they are talking to?

I find it ironic that this comes up in a discussion of perceived
anti-Americanism.

> I admit that we in the US consider someone who does not respond with
> disagreement to either be in agreement or "passive agressive". Passive
> agression is a much more hanous offense than outright agression in my
circles
> (not all of the US). So perhaps that is a NA thing rather than a US thing.
> But still, the general rule is:
>
> 1 Leave the discussion when there is still information to be explored- you
> are simply unwilling to admit that you are wrong.
>
> 2 Silence- agreement or passive agressiveness, which is another sign that
you
> are simply unwilling to admit that you are wrong.
>
> 3 Acknowledge agreement on who we disagree, but continue to disagree. The
> caviate of this one is you can't just state that, see (1).

Dare I say that a discussion tends to get very boring when only one side
seems to be making all the admissions of wrongness?

-J

[Sponsored by:]
The newest lyrics on the Net!