Fra: Ibrahim Dughlas-gani [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sendt: 1. juli 2003 09:18
Til: David Brin Mailing List
Emne: Re:Re:Re:Re:It's not just Bowie, or is it?

> None of these possible reasons sound plausible. In fact, such
> statements
> come across as rather aggressive and insulting. Now, I'm sure you
> didn't
> mean to come across as aggressive and insulting, and maybe it
> wouldn't be
> considered aggressive and insulting by other Americans, but when
> engaging
> in discussions with non-Americans you must keep in mind that non-
> Americans
> have different values and a different cultural background. What
> may be
> considered an entire harmless statement in the US may be
> considered a grave
> insult elsewhere.

In 2000, during the Sydney Olympics, a number of broadsheets back home in Oz
reprinted articles from the US, written by American sports journalists in
Sydney for the Olympics, who were shocked at the fact Australians weren't
desperately and completely in love with the US (and that many even were
strongly anti-American).  Quite humorous in a sense, and interesting to
boot, given the similiar history Australia and the US partially share in
common.

Australians can be very self-centered, and have a very blinkered view of the
world in many ways, but are light-years ahead of Americans, in my opinion,
in terms of how they viewed the world.

cheers,

Ibrahim Underwood
Singapore

NOTICE: This communication is meant only for the addressee(s) named above
and may contain information which is confidential and/or legally privileged.
If you are not the named addressee(s), or the agent responsible for
receiving and delivering this communication to the named addressee(s), this
communication has been sent to you in error. If so, kindly contact us
immediately for retrieval purposes. Unauthorised dissemination,distribution,
copying or reliance on this communication is prohibited and may attract
criminal penalties. Thank you.

[Sponsored by:]
_
The newest lyrics on the Net!