Jan Coffey wrote:

> > That's weird..using Hindi at work I mean. Your company did
> land up with
> > a lot of impolite jerks.
>
> It's common practice. I am not talking about just one company here.

It is still weird, especially since Hindi isn't the language in which
this work is done here in India. And I haven't even touched upon the
rudeness factor.

> Although some Indean Americans are able to avoid  anti white,
> hispanic,
> chinese, black etc. racesim, they still are subject to the
> classism when
> applicable.

I am not sure how you define 'classism' here. I would have assumed that
the Indians are prey to casteism and regionalism.

> Indean Americans are being hurt by these situations just as much as
> non-Indean Americans. As is Chinese Americans etc. etc. The
> sad thing is,
> that some poeople don't understand this, and there is
> begining to be quite a
> bit of raceism here. 3 Indeans have been killed this year in
> apparent acts of
> racial violence.

I think the Indians are beginning to realise this. There seems to be a
reverse brain drain, especially in the IT sector, where a lot of Indians
from US and Europe are moving back to India - some to work for the same
companies, some in new jobs. There is already a massive baclash in US
and Europe against the Indian IT industry which has led the govt. to
insist that the industry starts focusing on South-East Asia as its next
market.

> When Indeans and Chinese get to the point where they have
> enough numbers in a
> company, the culture begins to become the norm. The workplace
> starts to
> function in that culture and under the rules and norms of
> that culture. For
> instance: I was once reprimanded for stacking books on the
> ground to be able
> to reach a mouse on a high shelf. It seams that stepping on a
> book is somehow
> taboo in the Indean culture. I was told that I was being offensive and
> recieved a reprimand which excluded me from promotion. FOR
> STEPPING ON A
> BOOK! for ciseakes.

Excluding you from promotion was ridiculous but, yes, we do have a taboo
against stepping on books/printed material, throwing the same on the
gound...basically anything which suggests that one is being less than
respectful towards knowledge.

> My friend (ethnicaly Indean) ran into many of the same type
> of issues. He
> told his new Indean boss that the architecture had an issue
> that should be
> corrected. His boss told him that he expected better behavior
> from him, and
> that he should know better than to question his boss. Now
> this can happen
> anywhere from a control freak boss, but this one was specific
> about the code
> of conduct being and "Indean" one and that he intended to run
> his department
> to those standards and that culture.

But didn't your friend tell him that not questioning one's bosses
*isn't* Indian culture?

> American and Indean, and Chinses cultures are very differnt.
> I think that an
> American in Indea whould be expected to adopt the local
> customs.

I am not so sure about the local customs but any employee here would be
expected to follow the culture/rules of the management. The rules would
certainly not be uniform even in different companies in the same city.

> But when
> Indeans are in an american company it is the American
> expected to adopt their
> customs.

I think this is going to be a problem in the years to come. There are
just too many Indians and Chinese in the world and most of the citizens
of both the countries have had an exposure to the rest of the world only
in the last decade or so. And people do carry their culture with them
when they travel and migrate.

Ritu