There's a bit of convolution here; before a meaningful discussion can happen in some areas I think some of it has to be untangled.

On Sep 6, 2006, at 4:58 AM, John W Redelfs wrote:

My atheist father used to tell me that "might makes right" is a bad
philosophy?  Why?

Succinctly, if it were a valid philosophy, there would have been nothing wrong, ethically or morally, had the Nazis won WWII. Whether one is an atheist, agnostic or theist, I think we can agree that "might makes right" is not de facto true.

Unless there is a God who is against it, why would that
philosophy be any better or worse than any other?

Why would any philosophy that creates suffering be worse than a philosophy that reduces it, whether there is a god or not? Put another way, do we (does anyone) need a deity to tell us that beating a child is reprehensible?

Upon what do atheists base
their morality?  I've never been able to understand this.

Probably you haven't asked the right person. I base my ethical decisions on my ability to empathize. If I know a given action would cause me misery, I know that it's an action I shouldn't perpetrate upon another. (I believe there's a Christian analogue to this referring to auriferous yardsticks or some such.)

Hopefully this clarifies things.

If selection of
the species is determined by survival of the fittest, isn't "might" the
ultimate good, biologically speaking?

This is where we're getting into convolutions. You seem to have the impression that survival fitness is equal to battle/struggle/fighting, but that's a very narrowly-applicable view. Fitness has more to do with propagation than it does with a battle to survive; a celibate organism will not pass on its genes regardless of how successful it is in a field of combat. *Any* field of combat, including not drowning in a pool of water or surviving a drought or being fortunate enough not to live on the side of an active volcano.

There's a tremendous amount of contingency brought about by environmental and population factors that profoundly affects probability of yielding offspring. The "nature red in tooth and claw" idea is a vast -- and largely inaccurate -- oversimplification.

The strong are just doing nature a
favor by rubbing out the weak, preferably before they have a chance to
reproduce.

You're again seeing things narrowly. Is the bird flu virus "stronger" than the birds it's killing? On one level, you could argue the answer is yes; however, birds that survive the virus are actually doing the reverse of your conclusion (being weak, therefore rubbed out) and are in fact having the tables turned -- it's the virus that gets eliminated, not the bird. (I know this isn't wholly accurate, but I couldn't think of a bacterial analogue off the top of my head.)

Following this line of reasoning, would not killing babies be
one of the "moral" things a person could do? That way only the babies of the strongest parents would be able to survive, and that would improve the
bloodline, isn't that so?

In some species this appears to happen, at least to some extent. When a lion takes over a pride, for instance, it kills the cubs that were spawned by its predecessor. This forces the females into heat, which allows the lion to mate with them and ensure his own genes' supremacy in the pride.

(I see The Fool mentioned this as well!)

Of course, there are other species which show strong in-group altruism; for instance, you won't find that behavior in chimpanzee society except in cases of extreme aberration (turns out chimps can suffer from some of the same mental sicknesses that we can). We're much more genetically aligned with chimps than lions, so from even a strictly biological viewpoint it shouldn't be too surprising that we don't put much effort into killing off the weak within our own groups.

Of course, *outside* our groups, anything goes, and has for a long, long time indeed:

 8  O daughter Babylon, you devastator!
         Happy shall they be who pay you back
         what you have done to us!
 9  Happy shall they be who take your little ones
         and dash them against the rock!

(Psalms 137:8-9)

Thus we can find support for virtually every conceivable atrocity, even in Holy Writ, provided that atrocity is committed against those who are not part of our group.

Put another way, there's no rational way to argue that religion or faith in a deity automatically places one in a position to "know" what is moral or not relative to someone who does not believe in a deity. Might does not make right; a holy book doesn't either; and neither does eschewing scripture.

What makes right is understanding:

1. "Right" is a very plastic term that is subject to interpretation on the individual, family, group and societal/national level; as well as on the biologically-expedient level; thus a phrase such as "might makes right" is effectively worthless as an argument to begin with; and

2. All actions have consequences; a sensible approach to determining the "rightness" of any given action at any given time is to turn the tables: If someone did this thing to me, how would I feel about it?

FWIW, I don't generally use the term "moral" to describe actions or ideals, since the word suggests to me a law handed down by a god/dess. I refute the possibility, so I prefer the term "ethical".

So to answer your subject: By knowing how I would feel were an infant child of mine killed, I know that it would be grossly unethical (or "wrong") of me to kill someone else's child.

--
Warren Ockrassa
Blog  | http://indigestible.nightwares.com/