the anti-spam passion always gets funny :)

a similar but certainly costly non blockable, but regulated by bad laws, is
the legislation they passed on unsolicited fax transmissions...

then again, I bet everyone doesn't attack their postman/post office about
all the unsolicited paper form junk mail they receive :)

even if a mail server being open is theoretically bad and your blocking it
prevents some mail from flowing through it we are talking about hindering
another's ability to provide service in an open environment... certainly
whoever, raises any suit will notably sue both those blocking and ORBZ then.

blocking because of risk is bad bad bad.. it is unproven... the likelihood
that someone is going to do something wrong is unfounded until it happens...
the impact on public health and safety therefore is about 0.

the whole over reactive security aka I hate spam approach is way too far...
whether a relay is open because it is, or admin hasn't hardened it or it is
testing or a number of other things...

I say this all because we handle near 500 domains across various platforms
and they certainly receive a lot of spam... but it hardly is something that
even causes much effort more than a few delete key presses..

ORBZ service is just horrible... basically wait for days... configure,
reconfigure, etc....

I wish ORBZ would write a crawler to find security holes in others web
servers then destroy their DNS ability/records since they haven't patched...
now that would be nice.. sure would cut down on all that spare traffic
absorbed by admins who haven't patched or won't in months. Now that would be
useful :)

-paris