On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 5:29 PM, Erik Arvidsson <a...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 16:48, Aaron Boodman <a...@chromium.org> wrote:
>> Seems like a bad idea.
>>
>> Extensions and DOMUI are basically two competing systems for doing the
>> same thing, it would get confusing combining them. I would rather
>> either:
>>
>> a) add new (possibly experimental) APIs for the issues you've run into.
>> b) manually plumb the extension APIs you need through DOMUI (this is
>> basically composition instead of inheritance)
>
> Seems like b then. However, the extensions APIs are much nicer than
> all the ad-hoc chrome.send + CallJavascriptFunction we are currently
> using and having the same API seems like a win for maintainability.

I agree the current DOM UI method of sending calls stinks. I've looked
at using the extension system's mechanism before but it will be a lot
of work to decouple from the extension system I think. But feel free
to take a fresh look if you want.

>> Is this the complete list of bugs?
>> http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/list?can=2&q=feature:extensions+reporter:arv
>>
>> Context menu is potentially on the M5 list. Depending on how complex a
>> context menu API you want, this might not be too bad. We should just
>> implement the chrome:// urls one I guess.
>
> If we make the bookmark manager completely as an extension extensions
> need to be able to hook up global keyboard shortcuts (27702) as well
> as some way to hook into the wrench and system menus on mac.

I don't see why. We can implement those things in Chrome directly.
Chrome can know about this special extension.

- a