On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 5:43 PM, Erik Kay <erik...@chromium.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 4:48 PM, Aaron Boodman <a...@chromium.org> wrote:
>>
>> Seems like a bad idea.
>>
>> Extensions and DOMUI are basically two competing systems for doing the
>> same thing, it would get confusing combining them.
>
> While I can see this in principle, I'm not sure I see what the problems are
> in practice.  What kinds of problems do you envision?
> I think it would be nice for our current DOMUI pages to be built on top of
> the extensions APIs, but potentially have access to a few special APIs that
> extensions don't.  It seems like it would be painful to try to cut them over
> to such a system all at once, so adding extensions APIs to DOMUI pages could
> be a nice bridge.

When you say "built on top of the extensions APIs" do you mean have
access to, eg, chrome.tabs.*? Or do you mean use our
ExtensionFunctionDispatcher and json schema infrastructure, but not
use any of our APIs? I looked at the latter once before and it was a
serious project. There is a lot of knowledge about the extension
system baked into ExtensionFunctionDispatcher, such as who the current
extension is and knowledge of the json schema system in the renderer.

I think a simpler approach to get the benefits of the extension system
is to just make the bookmark manager an extension. We'd have to filter
it out of the chrome://extensions/ page and change its icon in the
task manager, but those are fairly trivial changes compared to tearing
all the knowledge of extensions out of ExtensionFunctionDispatcher
system.

If we want the bookmark manager to have some special APIs that other
extensions don't, that also seems fairly easy to do once the bookmark
manager is indeed an extension.

To be clear, I'm also open to lower-level refactorings. I'm just
warning that I suspect it's a serious project. A couple weeks at
least.

- a