On 20.04.2008 11:14:44 Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-04-20 at 09:24 +0200, berndf wrote:
> > Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > > I'm forwarding this CfP here as I've participated in the last OpenExpo
> > > in Berne, Switzerland. It was a huge success [1][2]. I hope you'll
> > > excuse that most of the information below is in German. There's some
> > > information in English on the OpenExpo website at: http://openexpo.ch/en
> > >
> > > [1] http://www.openexpo.ch/en/openexpo-2008-bern/press-release/
> > > [2]
> > > http://www.jeremias-maerki.ch/blog/2008/03/14/openexpo-in-berne-was-great/
> > >
> > > Matthias Stürmer, one of the organizers, has mentioned to me that they
> > > would be interested in having an Apache Track. In the last issue we were
> > > three people from three different Apache projects. Mine was the only
> > > presentation on an Apache project. I'm not sure we can come up with
> > > enough proposals for a full Apache track but we can certainly try. So I
> > > decided to forward the CfP here to reach a larger audience inside the
> > > ASF. It would be great to see more Apache projects represented there,
> > > either with a small booth or with a presentation. I'm sure it's also a
> > > good opportunity for potential sponsors operating in the D/A/CH area.
> > >
> > > Please spread the word! Thanks!
> >
> > I'd be interested in participating. Should we just throw CfPs at them or
> > should we coordinate Apache CfPs beforehand? :-)

I think it's a good idea to just place the proposals. We can
additionally coordinate in some form.

> > Coincidently, I ran into the CfP of German openexpo.de (ends April 30th)
> > some days ago. This event seems to be related to the swiss one. I think
> > the ASF should represent there, too! (And if the organizers are
> > hard/sym-linked with each other, we can test run for Winterthur (very
> > nice city!).

I've asked Mattias Stürmer how openexpo.de and openexpo.ch relate to
each other. I'll let you know.

> > My intention was to submit a talk about the ASF in general
> > there.

Good idea! I did that last time, too. Only got the FOP talk accepted,
though. But if we can create enough weight (maybe to the point to have
an Apache track), that should become easier. I think it's extremely
important to tell the people there how the ASF works.

> > BTW, what about an ASF booth at both events? The ASF should be more
> > visible at events like these!

The ASF booth is no problem. We simply have to request it. More of a
problem is some PR-materiel. I've got a big poster on FOP [1]. Some
eye-catcher materiel for the ASF as such would be good to have, too.

[1] http://jeremias-maerki.ch/download/fop/fop-poster.pdf

> > This is a [EMAIL PROTECTED] thing, right?
> yes it's good to keep them informed but PRC is a closed list with
> limited subscription. IMHO subjects like this are best discussed in
> public.

Agreed. I'm sure the PRC can help us in some way.

> IMHO apache is now big enough to start creating a voluntary list of
> committers who are willing to represent apache on a per country basis.
> maybe people.apache.org could help...

Good idea. FOAF extension? A Wiki page or a file in the committers SVN
is probably more light-weight.

If nobody thinks it's a bad idea I'll add a Wiki page on the ApacheCon
wiki as a starting point for non-ApacheCon events where the ASF is
represented.

Jeremias Maerki