2009/8/12 Don Dailey <dailey....@gmail.com>:

> If the program makes decisions about the best way to win N points,   there
> is no guarantee that this is ALSO the best way to win N+1 points.

Although this is obviously true, that doesn't automatically mean it's
not the best approach. Because there's a hidden assumption in there.
And that is it's not the best way to win by N+1, given proper play by
the opponent thereafter. If not perfect, then at least as strong as
the stronger player.

Whatever your strategy, even when you catch up a lot there's no
guarantee the opponent will keep making mistakes enough for you to
win. Human players generally do keep track whether they seem to be
catching up 'enough' and will take more risk when progress is not in
line with the progress of the game.

I don't think anyone is trying to argue that adjusting komi is the
perfect answer. But what apparently is observed (I never tried myself)
is that currently MCTS does poorly in handicap games. So the question
is whether adjusting the handicap would improve performance.

The positions seem to be entrenched. But I have yet to see conclusive
evidence or persuasive arguments one way or the other.

Maybe I should ask first, for clarity sake, is MCTS performance in
handicap games currently a problem?

Mark