2009/8/12 terry mcintyre <terrymcint...@yahoo.com>

> Most experiments are done on even games; this dynamic algorithm applies
> particularly to handicap games.In that context, it is not an ungainly
> kludge, but actually reflects the assessment of evenly matched pro players -
> they look at the board, and see a victory of n times 10 handicap stones ( or
> something roughly comparable ) for black.
>
> This matters because today's programs are not even close to playing at the
> pro level; to win respect, they'll have to master handicap games - and to do
> that, they'll need to do two things. First, they'll need to model the
> expectation that black with a handicap _should_ win big. Second, they'll
> need to behave gracefully as that initial advantage is whittled down.

I disagree.   I think strong players have a sense of what kind of mistakes
to expect, and try to provoke those mistakes.   Dynamic komi does not model
that.

It also does the opposite of making the program play provocatively, which I
believe is necessary to beat a weaker player with a large handicap against
you.    Instead of making it fight,  it encourages the program to be content
with less.   How does this model strong handicap players?

- Don