On Mon, Feb 01, 2016 at 12:24:21PM +0100, Olivier Teytaud wrote:
> If AlphaGo had lost at least one game, I'd understand how people can have
> an upper bound on its level, but with 5-0 (except for Blitz) it's hard to
> have an upper bound on his level. After all, AlphaGo might just have played
> well enough for crushing Fan Hui, and a weak move while the position is
> still in favor of AlphaGo is not really a weak move (at least in a
> game-theoretic point of view...).

That's right, but unless I've overlooked something, I didn't see Fan Hui
create any complicated fight, there wasn't any semeai or complex
life&death (besides the by-the-book oonadare).  This, coupled with the
fact that there is no new mechanism to deal with these (unless the value
network has truly astonishing generalization capacity, but it just
remembering common tsumego and joseki shapes is imho a simpler
explanation), leads me to believe that it remains a weakness.

Of course there are other possibilities, like AlphaGo always steering
the game in a calmer direction due to some emergent property.  But
sometimes, you just have to go for the fight, don't you?

                                Petr Baudis