Robert,

I'm not seeing the ROI in attempting to map human idiosyncratic linguistic
systems to/into a Go engine. Which language would be the one to use;
English, Chinese, Japanese, etc? As abstraction goes deeper, the nuance of
each human language diverges from the others (due to the way the human
brain is just a fractal based analogy making engine). The scare resource is
human mind power producing advances on the main goal making a superior AI
to what already exists. As the linguistic pathway hasn't emerged in Chess
in the last decade, then I find it considerably less likely it will end up
emerging for Go...unless you are, of course, suggesting that is something
you are taking up. :)

The AI world is changing to make explaining computation cognition to humans
less necessary, or even desirable. Why bound the solution space to only
what cognitively linguistically limited humans can imagine and/or consider?
And given even one AI team is thinking this way, the nature of competition
will drive other competing teams to similar motivation(s). Welcome to
"memetic evolution in action". Kind of makes those of us in the nearby
human cognitive domains just a wee bit more nervous about what is rapidly
approaching as human cognition automateable. For example, books about
josekis could be rendered far less valuable if/when AlphaGo and some other
AI competitor more strongly influenced by josekis pushes AlphaGo into new
spaces which involve much longer resolution horizons than humans used for
those that exist now.

No matter what, the future sure does sound very exciting now that Alpha Go
has broken the Go AI ceiling. I cannot WAIT to see the results of the event
against Lee Sedol.

Congratulations, Alpha Go team and Aja!

Jim