Idézem/Quoting Sam Varshavchik <mr...@courier-mta.com>:

> Markus Wanner writes:
>
>> I don't quite see how that matters. It's the same set of source files,
>> which would need the same set of security fixes, for example. What does
>> the duplication of efforts buy us?
>>
>> I'd rather state that duplication of code is never a good idea, but a
>> sign for bad modularization.
>
> Nothing is duplicated. It's one source repo. Packaging is a
> completely different matter.
>
>> By that reasoning, Debian would have to ship about a dozen variants of
>> maildrop packages. That's clearly not going to happen.
>
> Only one maildrop package is needed. And one courier package, that's it.
>
>> While I generally agree that it's good practice to remove stuff that's
>> really not needed, the courier variant *is* needed (by some users,
>> including myself).
>
> Certainly, and there's a single package that configures and installs
> everything: courier.
>
>>                   Splitting sources and duplicating efforts only
>
> Nothing is split. It's the same software, just packaged differently.
>
>> I'll check if it's feasible to re-add the courier-maildrop package in
>> Debian stretch (i.e. the Courier specific variant), but I'd greatly
>> appreciate if you could reconsider this split.
>
> Nothing is split. There are two separate packages, for two separate
> situations. One, a single courier package, that includes everything
> configured to work together. And the second package is the maildrop
> package, configured without any courier dependencies, to be plugged
> into other mail servers. That's it. It couldn't be any simpler.
>
> Did you know that there's also a separate courier-imap package? It's
> just the IMAP server component, that can be set up independently,
> and glued together with other mail servers. There's also the
> sqwebmail package, a mail server-independent webmail server.
>
> And, of course, the Courier package installs everything, configured
> to work with each other. Couldn't be any simpler.
>
> And things have been this simpler for over 20 years now. That's how
> long things have worked this way, with no issues. People get the
> right package for them, compile it, and install it. That's it.

Hello Sam!

I think the Debian maintainer has to bridge the gap of "compile it,
and install it" and the strict Debian policies.

For example I've learned packaging basics because I would like to have
only packages on my servers not individual files without a central
system like apt+dpkg.

I hope we will find a nice way to package your software by the
guidelines of the Debian policies.

All the best!

SZÉPE Viktor
https://github.com/szepeviktor/debian-server-tools/blob/master/CV.md