Hi,

On 17.05.2017 02:44, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Only one maildrop package is needed. And one courier package, that's it.

Unfortunately, there is not separate courier-mta source release. Only
the bundle. That's problematic for distributions per se.

That's not a Debian specific issue, but generally bad for any
distribution. A good read may be:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Why_not_bundle_dependencies

Or Debian's upstream guide, see the section "Pristine Upstream Source":
https://wiki.debian.org/UpstreamGuide#Pristine_Upstream_Source

> Did you know that there's also a separate courier-imap package?

There is a courier-imap package for Debian, built from the courier
sources. Are you saying this one is incompatible to the separate
courier-imap source release? I strongly hope it's not. (And I had the
very same hope for maildrop, but that was utterly wrong in a very
non-obvious way, despite proclaimed simplicity...)

> And things have been this simpler for over 20 years now. That's how long
> things have worked this way, with no issues. People get the right
> package for them, compile it, and install it. That's it.

Several issues were filed against the duplication in Debian packages for
the two different maildrop variants. And the two packages were often out
of sync.

Please note that there's nothing speaking against a bundle for users who
want to compile for themselves (in contrast to using distro packages)
and appreciate the bundling. However, for Debian, I'd greatly appreciate
separate source tarballs for each individual component.

And to live up to the simplicity you're advocating, I'd recommend
eliminating any difference between individual components and the bundle.
I'm not the first one to be caught by surprise, and I certainly won't be
the last one.

I'm looking forward to support Courier for Debian. However, I need a bit
of understanding and support from upstream. Thank you.

Kind Regards

Markus Wanner