Idézem/Quoting Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it>:

> On Thu 18/May/2017 00:19:07 +0200 Markus Wanner wrote:
>> On 17.05.2017 09:48, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>>
>>> My suggestion is to avoid disassembling the Courier tarball.  That is, have
>>> maildrop included by default in courier-mta, and possibly merge it with
>>> courier-base as well (why were they split, BTW?)
>>
>> Flexibility. And separation of concerns.
>>
>> I like being able to install courier-imap, but not courier-pop, for
>> example. Or running just the courier-mta without either of the other
>> two. That's quite common for Debian, I'd say.
>
> Although the real issue is maildrop, let me note the following about
> courier-base:
>
> * couriertcpd could be just suggested or recommended, not required,
>
> * testmxlookup could be moved to courier-mta,
>
> * I don't see how maildir utilities can be useful on a standalone
> SMTP server.
> Perhaps they could be moved to courier-imap, courier-pop, or both.
>
> Ale
> --

Debian policy states that a software should not be in more than one package.
It may seem strange that some parts are abstracted out of a common code base.

In Debian it is usual to have one software component in one package.
For example when you update it you don't have to download and install
the whole software.

Looking at things from inside Debian these may come handy: you never
have to deal with building a software from source, maintainers do that
for you.

All the best to you!

SZÉPE Viktor
https://github.com/szepeviktor/debian-server-tools/blob/master/CV.md