From:   Heinrich Harke, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Yellow star: where was it placed, and how many per wearer?

Sorry about making assumptions about background knowledge in German/Jewish
history. A yellow David's Star had to be worn by Jews in the Third Reich,
and it became the symbol of their expulsion from the society of the
country they lived in, and of their disenfranchisement and loss of legal
status. This was also forced on Jews in German-occupied territories during
the Second World War, and there it occasionally could become a powerful
symbol of resistance against terror: when the Danish government was asked
by the Germans to enforce the wearing of the yellow David's Star by all
Jews in Denmark, the members of the Danish royal family began to wear the
star as a mark of protest against this discrimination.

The star had to be worn visibly (i.e. on outer clothing), and as far as I
can tell from photographs, it was generally worn on the chest. It appears
to have been made out of cardboard, and (I believe) had to show the word
JUDE (Jew) as well as the distinctive shape of the David's Star.

I cannot think of a more potent symbol of discrimination and
disenfranchisement.

Heinrich Harke

  -------[Cybershooters contacts]--------

  Editor: [EMAIL PROTECTED]