From:   RustyBullethole, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

>Simple passive protest is not a crime it's a duty and damn it, he's not
>asking us to throw ourselves under the "kings horse" ... just organise
>ourselves in plenty of time so that we are ready for the elections when they
>come.   Like the blue inked "rubber stamped" money idea ... we just need to
>make sure that the whole thing is orchestrated properly, with a common
>easily understandable theme or soundbite.

Our Cybershooter days may be numbered, take a look at this regarding
the RIP bill currently with the house of lords.

In September last year, at a conference on British government plans
to give police and intelligence services the right to read private
email, Patricia Hewitt, the minister for e-commerce, claimed these
plans were necessary "because crime has become global and digital
and we have to combat this". What she omitted to mention was that
one of the "crimes" the government was setting out to combat was
the kind of peaceful protest actions that took place in Seattle at
the WTO meeting. This has now been made crystal clear in the
proposed Regulation of Investigatory Powers (RIP) Bill. Continuing
with a definition first brought in by the Thatcher government to
allow police to tap the phones of union members in the 1985 British
miners' strike, the Bill specifically designates "conduct by a
large number of persons in pursuit of a common purpose" to be "a
serious crime" justifying an interception of their private email
correspondence. The police requested that this measure be introduced
in a report into the demonstration that took place at the City of
London as part of an international day of protest actions on June
18th last year. There were violent clashes between the police and
this initially non-violent demonstration.

source GreenNet

http://www.gn.apc.org/www.labournet.org/2000/feb/rip.html

Rusty

  -------[Cybershooters contacts]--------