On 04/01/12 19:09, Yanick Champoux wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> For a long time now, the documentation of DBD::Oracle had been
> warning that Oraperl is deprecated. A few releases back, I ratcheted
> up the warning and mentioned that Oraperl would be dropped from the
> DBD::Oracle distro in the new year, after v1.38.
>
> And now that the new year and v1.38 are upon us, I'm thinking on
> acting on the promise. But before I do, wisdom begs me to consult the
> dbi hivemind. Sooo... Can anybody know of anyone/anything who would
> be impacted (negatively) by the removal of said Oraperl?

I started working with Oracle in 1993. At that time I wrote
some simple utilities in oraperl.

I read Yanick's recent warning, and reacted to it by wrapping
my copies of Oraperl.pm with logging script. To my surprise,
I found six or seven little oraperl scripts which were still
in use, some in critical applications! I have now converted
these scripts, and I am ready for the demise of Oraperl.pm.

I am completely in favour of the abolition of oraperl, but
I think it would be kind to start with a version which
emits a warning message from the main line of Oraperl.pm,
so any unfortunate end users of oraperl will have some
time to convert, or seek advice.

--
Charles Jardine - Computing Service, University of Cambridge
c...@cam.ac.uk    Tel: +44 1223 334506, Fax: +44 1223 334679