On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 09:53:35AM -0500, Yanick Champoux wrote:
> On 01/05/12 05:59, Charles Jardine wrote:
> >I am completely in favour of the abolition of oraperl, but
> >I think it would be kind to start with a version which
> >emits a warning message from the main line of Oraperl.pm,
> >so any unfortunate end users of oraperl will have some
> >time to convert, or seek advice.
>
>     Makes perfect sense. I'll inject the warning in the next
> release, with a, say, six month warning period (less than that would
> probably be deemed to fast, and more than that would cause the
> trigger finger to cramp before it can do the deed)?

I wouldn't mention a specific timeframe. Just say that Oraperl was
deprecated years ago, will be removed in a near-future release, and any
scripts using it should be rewritten to use DBI calls.

Then forget about it. There's no reason to actually remove it soon and
the longer it's not removed the more likely the message is to reach its
intended audience (who tend to upgrade rarely).