On Fri, Jan 08, 2016 at 06:38:05PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Jan 2016 15:01:53 +0000, Jonathan Dowland <j...@debian.org>
> wrote:
> >and since you are running sid anyway, it wouldn't even help you, so
> >I'm puzzled why you suggested it.
>
> You obviously don't see the difference between a customer, a client
> machine and a server. This might be a matter of language, so I'll
> explain it.

You're not communicating clearly and this is indeed causing problems in
this thread. You said "all my clients run unstable", not "all my client
machines run unstable". You've also later said "I've not installed any
new Debian systems at any client site". It is not unreasonable that the
casual reader will assume you are using the term to mean a 3rd party who
you are managing system for.

To attempt to add some signal to my noise, the gist of this thread seems
to be that Marco wants to make it easy for those who wish to have a
merged /usr to do so, and is not planning to force this upon anyone. As
far as I can tell what he wants to happen is a) files in / and /usr
locations not to conflict and b) policy to state that this should be the
case. I find it hard to object to this request, even without a merged
/usr approach.

There is a separate discussion which has been going on for much longer
which is about whether / and /usr are well supported as separate
filesystems, but that seems to have little to do with whether usrmerge
is undertaken or not.

J.

--
... "OK ... First I'll access the secret military spy satelite that is in
    geosynchronous orbit over the midwest. Then I'll ID the limo by the