Alan,

These are good questions.

1.  Yes, there must be a copyright statement.  Only the person, people, group,
or organization that holds the copyright can issue a license for other people
to use the work.  So, you must have someone claiming a copyright or they do
not have the legal ability to release the work to others under the LGPL.

2.  No, it is not required that each individual file contain a copyright
statement or the header of the LGPL at the top.  The FSF recommends such as a
best practice, and I would agree that it is desirable, but it is not required.

My recommendation would be that you communicate to the upstream project that
they need to include the copyright and licensing information in the root of
their repository, preferably all in one file, as a minimum requirement for you
to be willing to package their project in Debian.

Soren

On Sunday, March 3, 2024 11:06:30 PM MST Alan M Varghese wrote:
> Sent message incorrectly to debian-mentors-request instead of debian-
mentors.
> Correcting.

ref_
> type=heads [4]