On February 27, 2024 2:27:35 PM UTC, Scott Talbert <s...@techie.net> wrote:
>On Tue, 27 Feb 2024, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>
>> On 2/27/24 09:05, Andreas Tille wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I became more deeply involved into DPT since 2022 as a consequence of
>>> the suggestion for transfering several Debian Med/Science packages to
>>> DPMT[1][2].  I happily followed this suggestion and moved >30 packages
>>> from the Blends teams to DPT.  I was happy with this move since it makes
> [...]
>>>
>>> How can a team member for instance find another RC bug #1009424?  Just
>>> from reading the bug report it is pretty easy to fix but does not
>>> feature any response in BTS.  I came across this while looking into
>>> Cython 3.0 bugs.  The same source package (basemap) that had the open
>>> Cython bug (#1056789, tagged patch since 2023-12-09) is featuring RC bug
>>> (#1009424) that stayed unattended for 22 months?  We all know volunteers
>>> have limited time and I do not want to blame anybody in the team to not
>>> care promptly about RC bugs.  But what else is the sense of a packaging
>>> team than stepping in situations for long standing RC bugs and RC bugs
>>> tagged patch?
>>>
>>> This kind of situation wouldn't occur in teams where collaboration is
>>> strong and communication is effective. My motivation to address these
>>> long-ignored critical bugs diminishes when the maintainer opts for
>>> "weak" cooperation and lacks respectful communication with potential
>>> helpers.  I see no difference to simply do a NMU.
>>>
>>> I've checked the current situation who is actually using the DPT team as
>>> Uploaders[UDD3].  66 of the 73 maintainers have less than 5 packages
>>> some of these "Maintainers" are other teams and lots of the persons
>>> listed as Maintainer are known to be MIA.  This means the packages are
>>> de-facto not maintained which is most probably an unwanted effect of the
>>> current policy.  I know other maintainers from other teams to be fine
>>> with stronger team understanding.
>>>
>>> Since I consider the current situation as demotivating for newcomers
>>> as well as long standing contributors I would like to suggest to drop
>>> this "weak statement of collaboration" option from policy.  I've attached
>>> an according patch to the team policy[5].  I'm fine with creating a MR
>>> to be discussed rather in Salsa than this mailing list - whatever seems
>>> worthwhile to you.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>>      Andreas.
>>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>> I had similar experience, and the same kind of demotivating response from
>> the same person. So I'm not surprised.
>>
>> It's been a long long time that I would have like this DPT policy to go
>> away, but didn't dare to raise the topic. Though indeed, I don't think it's
>> reasonable to have a package in the team, but with strong ownership. I
>> believe that we should either have a package in the team, or not. Period.
>>
>> If someone isn't happy about this policy change, it's ok to move the package
>> way from the team, if having team-mate working on "your" package isn't ok
>> (of course, we would all prefer this doesn't happen, and that we work
>> collaboratively). This would make things a way clearer.
>>
>> So I'm 100% with you for the removal of this policy.
>>
>> To everyone else in the team: please also state your opinion, so we can make
>> a collective decision.
>
>I agree with both of you.  I think packages should be team maintained or not

While I do take advantage of this for a few packages, I don't personally care
much either way.  I suspect that packages will be removed from team maintenance
as a result though and I think that's a bad idea.

I'd prefer the current approach over people removing packages from the team, so
I think it's important that anyone who feels strongly enough about this to do
so, speak up.

Scott K