On February 28, 2024 9:54:55 AM UTC, Thomas Goirand <tho...@goirand.fr> wrote:
>On 2/28/24 00:54, Scott Kitterman wrote:
>> It's self-induced.  I mean if it's demotivating to have people point out
>> that you didn't follow the policy, then you can solve that all by yourself
>> by following the policy.  If I take your argument to its logical conclusion,
>> all of Debian's rules can be demotivating when people ignore them, so we
>> should get rid of them all so your feelings are safe.
>
>The way you're wording it, it feels like we on purpose didn't follow what was
>written in the policy. That's not the case.
>
>The point you're missing here, is that this policy is not obvious at all, and
>it's easy to either not understand it, or not know about it.

That seems rather tangential to the question at hand.  In the cases you cited
the people in question both knew about and understood the policy.  I agree that
I am not really following your logic.  Andreas' explanation makes more sense to
me, but it's neither here nor there as you don't need to convince me.

My only concern is that we not cause people to leave the team over this change.
 I'm personally ambivalent about it.

Scott K