On Tue, 27 Feb 2024 18:32:54 +0000
Scott Kitterman <deb...@kitterman.com> wrote:

> While I do take advantage of this for a few packages, I don't
> personally care much either way.  I suspect that packages will be
> removed from team maintenance as a result though and I think that's
> a bad idea.
>
> I'd prefer the current approach over people removing packages from
> the team, so I think it's important that anyone who feels strongly
> enough about this to do so, speak up.

For me, the weaker collaboration option that the DPT provides is key
to putting my packages under a team umbrella.

As I find myself completely AFK for up to a month at a time for both
work and private reasons, having a knowledgeable bunch of developers
around with full access to my packages (VCS and CI included) is a
definite plus, if only out of a strong sense of responsibility. The
same goes for benefiting from the shared knowledge of the team,
including routine fixes and similar minor changes being rolled out
across all packages in the team.

That said, I'm very careful not to spend more time on volunteer
efforts than I can afford to, and not looking to offload the full
maintenance of any of my packages. Upstream involvement often gives
me advance knowledge of upcoming releases, their compatibility issues
and other quirks, which in turn helps avoid problems on the Debian
end. I do not share the optimism that documenting such details
somewhere in individual packages - as suggested elsewhere in this
thread - would be effective to avoid trouble; more so considering
that the inability to stick to a single, concise, and rather clear
team policy is ultimately what triggered this whole discussion in the
first place.

As for the inclusion of codes of conduct or similar wording,
documenting common sense just feels unnecessary. While being on the
receiving end of a compliment for bug-squashing work is certainly
nice, the lack thereof isn't a measure of disrespect. I cannot recall
any discussion on the team's IRC channel or mailing list crossing
that line.