On 28/01/24 at 17:17, hw wrote:
On Fri, 2024-01-26 at 16:57 +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
hw (12024-01-26):
How do you make the BIOS read the EFI partition when it's on mdadm
RAID?

I have not yet tested but my working hypothesis is that the firmware
will just ignore the RAID and read the EFI partition: with the scheme I
described, the GPT points to the EFI partition and the EFI partition
just contains the data.

Of course, it only works with RAID1, where the data on disk is the data
in RAID.

Ok if Andy and you are right, you could reasonably boot machines with
an UEFI BIOS when using mdadm RAID :)

There is a sort of HOWTO [1] published in the archLinux wiki [2] but I don't advise it because there are many things that could go wrong.

Cheers,

[1] https://outflux.net/blog/archives/2018/04/19/uefi-booting-and-raid1/
[2] https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/EFI_system_partition#ESP_on_software_RAID1

--