On Mon, 2024-01-29 at 14:45 +0100, Franco Martelli wrote:
> On 28/01/24 at 17:17, hw wrote:
> > On Fri, 2024-01-26 at 16:57 +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
> > > hw (12024-01-26):
> > >
> > > I have not yet tested but my working hypothesis is that the firmware
> > > will just ignore the RAID and read the EFI partition: with the scheme I
> > > described, the GPT points to the EFI partition and the EFI partition
> > > just contains the data.
> > >
> > > Of course, it only works with RAID1, where the data on disk is the data
> > > in RAID.
> >
> > Ok if Andy and you are right, you could reasonably boot machines with
> > an UEFI BIOS when using mdadm RAID :)
>
> There is a sort of HOWTO [1] published in the archLinux wiki [2] but I
> don't advise it because there are many things that could go wrong.
>
> Cheers,
>
> [1] https://outflux.net/blog/archives/2018/04/19/uefi-booting-and-raid1/
> [2]
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/EFI_system_partition#ESP_on_software_RAID1

Ok in that case, hardware RAID is a requirement for machines with UEFI
BIOS since otherwise their reliability is insufficient.

I didn't plan on using hardware RAID for my next server, and now
things are getting way more complicated than they already are because
I can't just keep using the disks from my current one :(  Hmm ...

But I'm glad that I looked into this.