On Tue, 2024-01-30 at 10:21 +0700, Max Nikulin wrote:

> > > Easy. I configured my CAPSLOCK key (which is useless IMO) to bemy
> > > X compose key. So entering COMPOSE-4-5 does ⅘, and COMPOSE-<-
> > > 3does ♥. You can even define your own compose seqs, like I did
> > > with♀ (COMPOSE-o-+) and others.
> >
> > This is documented at <https://wiki.debian.org/XCompose> by the
> > way.

I configured several different Compose keys, for example Right-Alt, one
at a time, using the KDE settings -> input devices -> keyboard ->
advanced widget.

If I use them in XTerm, for example Compose-'-e to try to produce é, it
locks up. If I use them in nedit, I get a two-character sequence. If I
use them in Evolution or Firefox, it works fine.
It also works in Konsole, but my fingers know XTerm and so does my
.Xdefaults.

Does this only work in programs that work in UTF-8 instead of ASCII?