On Wed 31 Jan 2024 at 02:46:22 (+0000), fxkl4...@protonmail.com wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2024, Franco Martelli wrote:
> > On 30/01/24 at 01:14, fxkl4...@protonmail.com wrote:
> >> so i defined my compose key
> >> in "/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose" file i see a definition
> >> <Multi_key> <U22a5> <U22a4>
> >> how do i type this
> >
> > I dunno if it's possible to type it using the COMPOSE key, however as
> > workaround you can install "gucharmap" if your desktop is GTK based or
> > "kcharselect" if your desktop is KDE, then search the character by name
> > (I-BEAM) then copy into the clipboard, finally create your own custom
> > ~/.XCompose and define your key sequence to associate i.e. <Multi_key>
> > <i> <b> : "⌶" as explained in the Debian wiki:
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/XCompose
>
> thanks
> that helps
> in "/usr/share/X11/locale/en_US.UTF-8/Compose" file i see a definition
> <Multi_key> <U22a5> <U22a4> : "⌶"U2336 # ⊥ ⊤ APL FUNCTIONAL SYMBOL I-BEAM
> i can directly enter the symbol above using the U2336 value without a compose
> key
> ctrl + shift + u and type 2336 and enter

I wasn't sure from you previous post why you wanted to type this
character. Is it something you often use, or was it just a random
example of an Compose definition involving codepoints rather than
more familiar letters and symbols?

I would assume that someone who was going to use a Compose sequence
to type the I-beam would already have their keyboard set up to make
APL symbols available with a shift level. AIUI they would likely
use the layout similar to the IBM 2741. On that keyboard, you could
therefore type Compose and shifted B and N; see:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:APL-keybd2.svg

For typing raw codepoints, your method will work in graphical
applications like FireFox and, presumably, Desktop environments
generally. In emacs, where I compose my emails, the sequence
is a little different:
  Esc x i n s Tab c Tab Return 2 3 3 6 Return
which stands for Meta-X insert-char (using Tab completion) followed
by the codepoint. Or one can type:
  Ctrl-X 8 Return 2 3 3 6 Return
or even:
  Ctrl-X 8 Return A P L Tab I - Tab
which uses Tab completion to type APL FUNCTIONAL SYMBOL I-BEAM,
the Sunday name of the symbol.

People who use vi may have different keystorkes. Horses for courses.

Cheers,
David.