>> is this a new version of declude or something? <<

Things have gotten a bit messy, in my opinion.

Yes -- but for good reason.

It used to be that any FEATURE ADDITIONS would be done in a new beta version
and the fact that the features were added were listed in the 'readme'.

Correct. And that is how it is designed to work today.

If a beta version needed fixing of newly created bugs, then there would be
intermediate releases for that particular beta.

Close.

Originally, there were only betas and released versions. New features and bug fixes would be added to new beta versions. The beta versions would be released typically every few weeks. Once the timing seemed right, the beta would turn into a new released version.

A year or so ago, we came out with interim releases. The idea for the interim releases is that we can make changes very, very quickly, when needed. These are exactly the same changes that would appear in betas, but with the interim releases, we can get them to customers much more quickly. We often go through 20 or more interim releases between betas (and as a result, the betas come out less frequently).

The intent of the interim releases is to get fixes and new features quickly to people who need them. There are drawbacks, that we often can't list (for example, the latest interim release saves information to the C:\Declude.log file).

To my dismay, things have gotten a bit out of hand.  Now we have 20 or 30
intermediate releases - which in reality are several "new" betas, because
suddenly there are new features added between intermediate releases so that
any intermediate release has no resemblance to the original 'beta' with the
same version number.

Scott - can't we go back to a more easily trackable version numbering /
change mangement scheme?

The problem is that people are now treating interim releases as new releases, when in fact they are not. If you simply ignore any references to interim releases, things are almost exactly as they were.

The real problem is that people are starting to download interim releases without needing any of the fixes, and often without needing any of the new features.

What may be a good idea is for me not to post links to the interim releases on this list, which will allow for much better control.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask about our free 30-day evaluation.