If I download beta version X with an advertised set of features - I may
experience problem Y.
In the past, there would have been the intermediate version XiN that would
fix known problems of that version so that I could benefit from the the
original beta features.

Correct.

Nowadays, if I download the latest XiN intermediate release I may end up
with a bunch of features that were never part of the original beta version X
and that I may not wish to test - but I'm stuck with them because I need the
latest "intermediate" to fix the bugs in the original beta version X.

That's the way it has always been with the interim releases. Interim releases are simply where the code stands today (or this hour), with any changes that may have been made since the latest interim release.

However, in almost cases, new features will not interfere with anything unless you actually enable them.

I can't follow your logic that a more transparent NUMBERING scheme would
somehow prevent you from "quickly releasing" bug fixes and/or new features.

It doesn't -- I was thinking (incorrectly) that you were referring to going back to the old system (of several betas and then a released version).

All it does create transparency:

Beta 1.1.1  has new features
Beta 1.1.1-1 through -n  has same features with bug fixes

Now someone has a great new feature idea, ergo:

Beta 1.1.2  has new features
Beta 1.1.2-1 through -n  has 1.1.2 features with bug fixes

Currently, you would call Beta 1.1.2 a Beta 1.1.1-76.

In my mind, nothing indicates that somewhere in all those intermediates is
hiding a new "version" with new features.

This would be nice. However, we are trying to stay away from having multiple source code trees, which would a fair bit of extra work to set up and maintain.

Declude JunkMail: The advanced anti-spam solution for IMail mailservers.
Declude Virus: Catches known viruses and is the leader in mailserver vulnerability detection.
Find out what you've been missing: Ask about our free 30-day evaluation.